Sep 24, 2009

Improvement!

I'm still working on that comic, but I made a breakthrough in coloring and thought maybe y'all would want to see.


The top panel was done earlier this year. Somehow I thought it was looking pretty good. Can't imagine why - it's overwhelmingly Pure Green, flat, boring, what have you. Even the character's costume and fur color seem doomed to blend into the background.

Several months of practicing digital painting in my personal work later, we get this second attempt on the bottom. I'm much happier with it - it implies an actual mood and time of day, while doing it with a much more appealing and realistic color scheme.

Yay practice! Maybe someday I will be good at this, after all. :)


* Want to see the full pages, with a more detailed explanation? Check out my corresponding post at the production blog for our comic!

6 comments:

Will Strong said...

You ain't kidding. The first one was good but the second one has great atmosphere. It's amazing how much better those subdued colors say forrest than the intense greens.

Hooray practice.

Anthony Holden said...

Nicely done, Rachel!

Ki-o-TEE said...

Um, basically you are awesome. I love the improvement, the warm feel in the second draft. This is gonna be so good!

Chelsea Stebar said...

Wow. The difference really is stunning. Awesome job.

M.R. Weaver said...

Update d-d-d-dump!!!
:D

I like this, it is much improved.
Yay for color and value!

JAKE WYATT said...

Wow! WHAT an improvement!